Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Milk - new ingredient

Milk Soap
Gentle unscented bar carefully made with fresh, organic, full fat, non-homogenized milk from local pastured cows
I always wanted to try to make soap with fresh milk but never dared to actually do it. It is said to be a tricky process that frequently ends in failure. So without any planning one day I got my hands on some lovely fresh organic milk directly from a local farm. I had enough for a nice batch. I had to act fast (within 3 days) before the milk could spoil.
In the evening I recalculated one of my recipes, measured ingredients and prepared everything. As soon as the kids were in bed the fun started. "Keep it cool and do it slowly" that's the advise I was given. It worked. The milk had to be cooled and lye had to be mixed in in small amounts in order to avoid fast heat up and scorching the milk.
Everything worked out nicely and in several weeks I had these cute bars. Milk (whether cow's or goat's) has been used for centuries in beauty treatments and bathing for its conditioning and moisturizing effect on skin so the soap is very gentle and perfect for sensitive skin. It is unscented and smooth with creamy lather.
Glad I gave it a try :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment